Sunday, May 31, 2009

Resort Life

A resort, no matter how inclusive, is not very fun in the rain and not good for weight loss. Easy access to chicken fingers, french fries, pina coladas, all you can eat buffets and large dessert selections is more condusive to weight gain than weight loss. Since it was raining the whole time we were at the Playa Blanca Resort, we had no choice but to spend the day eating and drinking. Me and Tati would have breakfast, followed by mid-morning meal and drinks, lunch, followed by mid-afternoon meal and drinks, evening drinks, dinner, more snacks and drinks -- very unhealthy. But when one is in the presence of so much all you can eat, all inclusive food, no matter how low the quality, one experiences a very joyful and gluttonous feeling and soon finds self in vegetative, food-induced state. It's probably best to go with a boyfriend so you have something to do during your down time and burn off those millions of calories, especially during rainy season... I give the Playa Blanca three out of five stars...it's very pretty but the staff is less than communicative and it doesn't have a very attractive beach.

**********
However, while in Casco Viejo with Tati on Wednesday afternoon, I decided Havana Cafe is one of my favorite bars in Panama City, even if it's slighly overpriced. The menu wasn't that impressive, but the drinks and ambience were great. Tati really liked the mojitos and I can testify that they are VERY strong from her reaction. They have a lot of really cool photographs on the wall and old-time Cuban music playing in the background. The fact that it's in Casco Viejo and you're surrounded by dilapidated but colorful colinial style buildings makes you feel like you're somewhere special and channels pre-Castro Havana, not that I've been there, but it's how I imagine it...definitely a five star bar. There's this one picture I've been looking for all over the internet -- you can see it here on the side -- it's of the little boy smoking a cigar. I think it has to be a famous picture but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Anyone know anything about it? P.S. These pics are courtesy of Rasha's facebook and taken by Rasha. Perhaps it's time to find myself a wealthy boyfriend to take me out and about. Casco Viejo is my favorite neighborhood in Panama City, and really, one of the only ones with any sense of history or culture.

**********
Other places we've eaten:

1.) Napoli: Italian, above average food, surprisingly good service. However, restaurant has undergone rennovation since Frommer's review, and now resembles happy yet peaceful zen-like place rather than loud Italian family restaurant. Fine if you're serving sushi, not fine for pasta and meatballs. What kind of Italian restaurant trades in checkered red and white table clothes for lime green? ***

2.) Sushi Express: Nice ambience, OK service, decent sushi, low prices. If you're not a food snob, very satisfactory. Most things taste good to me, so I was very happy: $20 for two, plenty of food. ****

3.) Mi Ranchito: Not the most amazing food, BUT lots of tourists means service is pretty good. Good view of Panama City, great first restaurant in Panama. Always busy and happening, serves traditional Panamanian dishes. It is a tourist's dream come true with thatched roof and nice patio.****

4.) Gamboa Resort Restaurant: Have never been overly impressed by Gamboa resort food, but the views are beautiful and it's relatively close to the Canal. The french fries were good...the rest was not.**
Maybe I will start reviewing places by category; instead of Frommer's Guides, Jijer's Guide: Most inclusive and hip guide to Panama.
**********
As I side not, I recently discovered that the gym I joined is known for the large number of prostitutes who go there during the day. So that's why there were so many fake boobs and all the women look so good. I don't have to feel inferior any more. They may be better looking, but at least I'm not selling my body to the night! Just kidding. I am sure it is very sad to be an tropical prostitute and they all have very tragic, heart wrenching stories. I wonder if the men are prostitutes too.




No comments:

Post a Comment