Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Travels Around Panama City


The Pacific Coast of Panama has a very strange vibe to me. Over the last five years or so, it has changed at rapid speed, becoming THE hotspot among North American retirees. There are luxury condos and Spanish style mansions overlooking the ocean, down a 100km stretch of Pacific, all built within the last few years. A few years ago, the Pacific Coast was home to poor fishermen who sold their land cheap to foreigners thinking they were getting a great deal. What sold for a few thousand dollars ten years ago is selling for half a million today as golf courses, spas, resorts, restaurants, and luxury living communities sprout up all over the place. It kind of let's you see why Americans are hated around the world -- they see potential and opportunity where other people see poverty and desolation. Imagine being the fisherman who sold your land for $10,000 and now it's home to a five star condo development with no condo going for less than $500,000. I think it's natural that this creates tension, distrust and envy, which I think is what's happening.

*******************************************
But honestly, other than being near Panama City, I don't see the appeal of the Pacific Coast. The beaches are no more attractive than Virginia Beach and most of the time, the waves and riptides are so strong that you can't do much more than dip your feet in. Deforestation means it hardly ever rains here, which in turn means it's getting dryer and hotter every year. Maybe it's just the idea of having a place overlooking the ocean in a foreign country, but I personally prefer the Atlantic. I think they were just able to build cheap and call it paradise.

********************************************
Yesterday I went out with Neus, Carlos and Kate to Amador, and we ate at Lenos de Carbon, which was actually a pretty good experience. The restaurant has a great view of the Panama City Skyline and the marina, with its huge yachts. I love the Amador Causeway. I know it's cheesy and tacky and touristy, but the combination of the Panama City skyline, the Pacific Ocean and the "boardwalk" feel just give it a very pleasant, laidback atmosphere. Afterwards Carlos, Kate and I went to a few bars. There's this one restaurant/bar I have to walk by everyday, and the valet man always sees me walking alone and is overly nice to me. I think he feels sorry for me because I'm always alone. Anyway, I went there with Carlos and Kate last night just to show him that I do, in fact, know people, and HE DIDN'T EVEN RECOGNIZE ME!!! I guess he only recognizes me if I'm alone.











No comments:

Post a Comment