Sunday, November 22, 2009

New Apartment


My dearest readers,

It is with great enthusiasm that I inform you that I have officially moved into my new room in my new building. It's a two-level apartment and I live on the first level (but on the 15th floor).  Upstairs there are two more bedrooms, a large family room, a large kitchen and a pleasant balcony. There are four of us living here, two guys from Cali, a girl from Manizales and myself. As I have a new DOUBLE bed, all guests are welcome. For some reason the bed came with wheels, so I am afraid there cannot be very much locomotion during your visit. However, there is also a hammock for your resting pleasure.

In addition, I have inaugurated my very cute mini rice cooker, a gift from my mother, thanks to the encouragement of my grandmother. Due to my -- complicated -- financial situation, I have decided to economize by cooking one well-balanced dish a week and one less-balanced quick dish.  This week, I have decided on rice with chicken, peppers, vegtables, peas, curry, cumin, pepper, garlic and soy sauce for lunch and dinner and oatmeal with milk for breakfast.  This way, I am getting my protein, dairy, vegtables and grains.  We shall see what creative dish next week brings.

Anyway, as many of you know, I am living in the less-than reputatable, less than beloved center of Bogota.  While many look down on the center as dangerous and unsightly (true), I think it's one of the most fascinating neighborhoods in Bogota.  Within a three block radius of my apartment, there are architectural styles ranging from the 1500s to the present.  I am walking distance to La Candelaria, Bogota's colonial, cafe/museum/student sector, La Macarena, an up-and-coming slightly bohemian, slightly edgy neighborhood with nice restaurants and bars, the international center, el parque nacional and La Septima, my favorite avenue in all of Colombia.  Sure, there are a few hobos here and there and many of the colonial buildings are slightly dilapidated and extremely graffitied, but Monserrate is about 100 meters away from my building! Behind my building, there is a street home to Pacific-style restaurants run by Chocanos, serving (or so I've  been told) very delicious fish dishes. There are also many breadshops, cafes, (non-fish) restaurants and bars in my proximity.  The neighborhood demographic appears to be a mixture of "popular," homeless, artsy, punkish, creative, student, intellectual and inde. When my camera's charger makes its way back from Panama, I will post pictures of my new place and neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. :) que bonito, ahi guachapiando el ingles alcance a entender lo q escribiste, bienvenida a nuestro hogar

    ReplyDelete
  2. jeje, lo escribi yo, lili, tu room mate

    ReplyDelete