Monday, November 30, 2009

Milo, Rice and a Can of Beans

I've discovered that earning a Colombian salary while paying American bills requires a bit more budgeting and planning than previously anticipated. To prove this point, I will disclose the contents of my pantry: Half a can of Milo, half a bag of rice, a (full) can of Antioquian beans, one egg, three sticks of Colombian hot chocolate, a bottle of soy sauce, a bottle of hot sauce, a packet of cumin, three cloves of garlic and a salt shaker. (Thankfully, my mother left me a 250-tablet bottle of vitamins to get me through this period of inadequate nutrition). Now I will disclose the contents of my wallet: COL $1,700 (Approximately US $0.85). I feel more Colombian already.


So it seems I will have to take a temporarily sojourn from visiting cafes, buying obleas, taking taxis or doing anything else that requires capital. But I chose this life and other than my recently readjusted economic situation, I’m feeling very upbeat and positive about my new Colombian life. And I am thinner than I've been in a long time.

2 comments:

  1. I had an idea that artists were poor but your pantry falls below the poverty line! I hope you gather a few Colombian pesos to buy some fruits and vegetables and may be one day you can afford a little meat. I'm going to try not to feel too guilty about having a big dinner and feeling that I'm gaining the weight that I lost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could start a new weight loss method!

    ReplyDelete