Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Things Happen

Things happen here that remind you why Colombia has a bad reputation. When you think things are under control and the violence has passed, it turns out a government worker gets assasinated in Antioquia and a car bomb kills six and injures 30 in Buenaventura. Both incidents, I'm guessing, are somehow related to the FARC or another armed group. It's not particularly shocking news by Colombian standards, but I'm starting to think Colombia is kind of like Tilikum, that killer whale who killed its trainer despite years of good behavior. Unpredictable.

I wonder if anyone has ever written a book exploring why Colombians (as a society) are prone to political violence and organized crime. And it's not just something that started with cocaine...it goes back to the 1800s. I suppose the drug trade fueled things further, but what mix happened here that didn't happen elsewhere? Or what historical factors could have contributed to this kind of prolonged, low-grade civil war? I wonder if the elections will be peaceful.

And in other news, I have my first Year of Yes date tomorrow. He's asked me out a few times and I always said no. Maybe this new spirit of YES will make my blog more exciting.

Also, Frommer's contacted me to update the next Panama Guide. So I will be in Panama from May 23-June 23 or something like that. Quite exciting. Anyone looking for a tropical vacation is welcome to join me. Week-long vacation applications are acceptable. So between the U.S. and Panama, I should be back in Colombia by the end of June. Because I can safely assume to gain some 10 pounds in two weeks in the U.S., I will be starting a hardcore exercise program in order to lose weight so I can gain weight at home. Go me.

1 comment: