Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Too Good to be True?

So, things have been going very well these last couple of weeks in all aspects of my life.

1.) I have 7 students who all want 4-6 hours of tutoring a week.  And most of them just want conversation.  So I am basically getting paid to talk to people.  

2.) I've started working on a new project (Latinworld.com) where I get to write articles about tourism and Latin America. It's not a full-time job, but it let's me do what I like to do and keeps me in the writing field. I'm really looking forward to this project because Latin American tourism is something I can actually get excited about.

3.) I have a new place!  And it's an adult place. Not as in XXX adult, but it just seems very grown-up.  All the places I've lived in since college are so old that the bathroom and kitchen always look dirty no matter how many times it's cleaned.  My new place is in a relatively new building and everything looks clean and welcoming.  It's pretty small, but my room has it's own bathroom (having one's own bathroom being a major indicator of being grown-up) and it's completely furnished.  My roommate is French and works as a professor, so maybe I'll be speaking French by the end of the year.

The demographics of my new neighborhood are pretty similar to my old neighborhood:  middle-middle class, lots of students, a handful of foreigners, some homeless people and about a hundred mariachis.  Yes, I will be living on La Calle de Los Mariachis, surrounded by middle-aged men in tight pants and enormous sombreros. My apartment is on a dead-end street with about half a dozen English-style houses and I'm close to an actual grocery store, lots of clothes and shoe shops and lots of cafes and restaurants. A good mix of residential and commerical.

4.) I've made some friends, am going out more and having a very good time.  I've met a good mix of foreign and Colombian people, and I'm really excited about the prospect of staying in Bogota and making a life here. I don't know if that will change, but for the first time in my life, I am actually excited about where I am and the life I have rather than thinking about where I'd like to go instead. It only took 25 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment