Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Colombia

I spent my first couple of months in Bogota so absorbed by everything new and different -- architecture, cafes, culture, shops, streets -- that I was in a complete state of euphoria. Going from Centreville (population 50,000) to Bogota (population 8 million) is a big change.  And even though I lived in Panama City, I'd be hesitant to put it in the same category as New York or Bogota because something about it seems a little artificial. Kind of a Miami or Las Vegas-type city. So I was extremely excited about everything that comes with living in a vibrant, interesting, culturally fascinating and diverse big city. It was like being on vacation 24/7.

I spent the next few months comparing everything to the U.S, missing everyone at home, criticizing everything that I didn't find up to par and wondering if I'd made the right decision moving here. Especially when I heard about Arlington happy hours, Adams Morgan clubbing, popcorn consumption, Alexandria and Georgetown day-trips, rural country drives, family dinners, my friends' expanding purchasing power (my shrinking purchasing power) and basically, everyone going on merrily with their lives -- without me. I guess I was slightly depressed because after you see everything great about a place, you start seeing everything bad.

But now the euphoria's gone and so's the depression. I've stopped comparing everything, stopped being over critical and have started making an effort to be more social, do more things and go out more, all things that make life better. So now I'm pretty content here.  If you know how to take advantage of it, Bogota is a pretty cool place.

Now I just need to find a new apartment. My current place is too far from my classes and my room's a little small. I'd really like to find somewhere in Chapinero because it's close to the center and the north but still has a lot going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment