Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Few Observations/Anecdotes from Today


1.) I was walking along La Septima this afternoon like a woman on a mission  with my arms swinging back and forth as they often do when I have no particular destination in mind when suddenly, I realized my palm landed squarely on the ample, blue-jeaned butt of a teenaged guy.  I was in shock over the uncomfortable situation and instead of pulling my hand away, my hand cramped up, an unfortunate reaction I believe the guy interpreted as an admirative squeeze.  He was pleased.  His girlfriend was not.

2.) Living on a budget is not nearly as fun as spending carelessly, and Milo, as delicious and nutritious as it is, is an unaffordable luxury.  Because beans are the second most economical food choice after lentils, I've made a giant pot of kidney beans, which I will be eating for lunch and dinner this week. I remember the days when I'd buy clothes whenever I felt like it, spend $5 on a Grande Frappaccino or $100 on books and stationary without thinking twice about it.  Those days are gone. I have abandoned my comfortable first-world life for a more difficult, third world life.  My poor immigrant parents probably don't know where they went wrong.

3.) Children everywhere love balloons.  Why?

4.) I keep getting e-mails from some "black singles" site and "Latin American girlfriend-finding" site, which starts with lines such as, "Are you a successful Gringo looking for a sexy, wild Latina?..." I am not a successful Gringo looking for a sexy, wild Latina but there is no option to stop receiving e-mails.  Oh well. If there are any successful Gringos out there looking for sexy, wild Latinas, Leticia, Leidy and Reina are waiting to meet you.

5.) There are certain less-than-wealthy people I see in my neighborhood everyday and some I feel sorry for and others I don't.  For example, I don't usually feel sorry for the indignantes because (judging by their slurred words and strange behavior) they did something to get where they are.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my opinion.  But certain people you wonder how life can be so unfair.

Example 1:  There is an old man who stands in front of the Panamericana on Calle 18 with La Septima; he always wears the same blue suit and blue hat with a green feather.  His eyelids are so droopy that you can barely see his eyes, and everyday he stands there -- expressionless -- with a scale in front of him and a leather tan briefcase to his side that look to be about his age. He must be about 85 years old and he just stands in that same spot all day, not talking to anyone or doing anything. I've never seen anyone pay to weigh themselves.

Example 2: A legless man who sits in the middle of La Septima (toward La Plaza de Bolivar) with a little money can and a red cap.  He sits in the same spot everyday and I don't know how he doesn't get trampled at rush hour when a non-stop crowd of people walk past him.

Example 3: A middle aged man who plays the trumpet, also on La Septima, who always wears a navy blue suit and hat. On Fridays, large groups of up to two or three hundred gather around different street performers but no one ever gathers around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment