Saturday, August 8, 2009

When I Get Back to America

I'll be going back to the U.S for about three weeks in about three weeks, and I am experiencing extreme anticipation and excitement about my return to the motherland.

There are just some things in America that are so...comforting and soothing...that I find myself looking forward to going back home more then I would have thought.

This is what I want to do during my time at home (Some won't happen due to lack of funds, but this would be ideal).



  • Go camping somewhere with a lake or river. Roast marshmellows. Spend a lot of time at the camp ground store and eating out at unhealthy local diners specializing in any dish with gravy and french fries where all the waitresses are over 30.













                      • Go for a long bike ride with my dad. Perferably the Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown, Bethesda route. Or Middleburg Route. Lots of hills, but excellent ice cream shop. I want to ride my bike through my neighborhood, see what houses are for sale, how much they're selling for, who has a nice garden this year, who's made changes or additions to their house, et cetera.
                      • DC9. I like that club. I always have fun there.
                      • Have my mom make me salmon, pesto and salad for dinner. I want to watch movies with Elsie over saying she's really going home for real this time but then going out to her car to get her pajamas.
                      • Eat dinner with my family on the deck for three or four hours. Have Rasha come visit us coming through the backyard fence on a nice, clear summer evening.
                      • Go to Starbucks. Nothing is more American than overpriced coffee and chain ambience. I want a Venti Caramel Frapaccino with lots of whip cream.









                      • I want to have a sleepover in Kim's bed with Sgroi and Stone, talk about life and watch Tivo-d TV.
                      • Kim's wedding. Going to be very happy, emotional day. She's the first one to get married and somehow that signals a new period in our lives, I think. Seeing what wonderful dresses Adriana and Cassandra picked out. It will also be nice to see the whole Perilla clan of the Mid Atlantic region.
                      • Have Ivan invite me and Tati to his basement "parties." Well, I guess that won't be possible because he'll be in college :(.
                      • Hang out at Rasha's house and sing lots of songs very badly while eating condiment flavored popcorn. Man, I've really missed popocorn...haven't had much since leaving the U.S.
                      • Matsu Sushi. Despite extensive travels, have not yet found sushi place that matches Matsu in quality and atmosphere. And of course, familiarity.








                      I'm really looking forward to going home and seeing everyone.

                      No comments:

                      Post a Comment